Photo of the Day: Nanaimo Fishing Pier from Seaplane
This was my view recently when I caught the Harbour Air seaplane from Vancouver back to Nanaimo. The Nanaimo Harbour fishing pier is a popular place to gather in the inner harbour in attempt to catch some shellfish. Be sure to check the local Fisheries regulations before heading out.
The daily limit for Dungeness and Red Rock crab is 4 per person per day. Be sure to throw females back. Females have a wider "beehive" looking abdomen.
- Dungeness crab must measure at least 165 mm.
- Red Rock crab must measure at least 115 mm.
- A crab is measured in a straight line through the widest
part of the carapace, or shell.
- Harvesters are advised to measure crabs using a calliper device.
- Undersized crab must be returned to the water immediately.